Community Event Calendar

February 12, 2019 thru February 19, 2019

Click the event title to view more information to add an event to your itinerary.

Display: Default Week MonthSearchAdd Event My Itinerary

Events

Ray Strong: A Collector’s Passion (Second Opening Reception)
February 16
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

The Wildling Museum of Art and Nature is pleased to present the exhibition, “Ray Strong: A Collector’s Passion,” that is open to the public through July 8, 2019.  The show features 32 paintings by renowned Santa Barbara artist Ray Strong (1905-2006), loaned by David Parker of Goleta.  While several pieces have been shown at venues throughout the county, this is the first time the entire collection will be shown together. Born in Oregon, Strong painted primarily in Marin County and the Bay Area, but moved to Santa Barbara in 1960 having been commissioned to paint diorama murals for the Bird Hall at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. He loved painting throughout the county and eventually co-founded The Oak Group along with fellow painter Arturo Tello in 1986. That group of painters uses art to raise awareness and funds for endangered local landscapes and is still active today, with 25 members. In addition to Parker’s collection, the Wildling also commissioned filmmaker Jeff McLoughlin of Goodeye Films to create a short video about Strong and his legacy. It is shown in the gallery, along with a few other paintings by artists who were taught or influenced by Strong.  Please RSVP to Julie at julie@wildlingmuseum.org or call (805) 688-1082 and let us know you are planning to attend. 

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/ray-strong-2019-art-exhibit
Email: mitra@wildlingmuseum.org
Phone: 8056868315

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Previous Week Next Week

Add Your Event

Do you want to add your event to our Community Calendar? You can do so by clicking the button below. Complete the simple registration and submit your event. Once approved your event will be added to our Community Calendar.

Add My Event