Community Event Calendar

January 2019

Click the event title to view more information to add an event to your itinerary.

Display: Default Week MonthSearchAdd Event My Itinerary

Events

Wildling Museum & Abstract Art Collective Present Nature Abstracted
January 02 - February 04
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The Wildling Museum in Solvang is collaborating with the Santa Barbara based Abstract Art Collective to produce Nature Abstracted. This show features work from the Abstract Art Collective (AAC), a Santa Barbara community-based group of artists. Abstract art challenges the artist and audience to mine the depths of emotion and intellect—to journey far from real world imagery and into the imagination. In this exhibit you will see the artists’ response to various aspects of nature experiences—responses they’ve chosen to share. Nature Abstracted is an exquisite and intimate exhibition to be enjoyed by all ages, and at many levels. There are 29 works by 18 artists, accompanied by wall placards describing each work as to medium and thought process in the work’s production.
The Wildling’s Executive Director Stacey Otte-Demangate and Westmont College’s Nathan Huff juried the submissions from the members of the Abstract Art Collective for this exhibit. Over 25 artworks will be for sale, with 30% of the proceeds supporting the museum. Nature Abstracted will be on display in the Barbara Goodall Education Center from October 3rd through February 4th, 2019.

Website: http://www.wildlingmuseum.org/wildling-museum-abstract-art-collective-present-nature-abstracted/
Email: mitra@wildlingmuseum.org
Phone: 8056868315

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

January 02 - January 31
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Gallery artists of Gallery Los Olivos will exhibit a group show "LIGHT" January 1- January 31.

Our first show of the new year will interpret this theme in paint, sculpture, photography, fiber arts, collage, ceramics, wood turning, and jewelry. Gallery Los Olivos  has over 50 talented and accomplished artists. The Gallery is open daily 10 am - 4 pm.

2920 Grand Ave. Los Olivos

Email: gallerylosolivos@gmail.com
Phone: 805 688-7517

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Nature Imagined
January 05 - January 21

You are invited to Nature Imagined, a special exhibition that celebrates nature through the vivid imaginations of Cheryl Medow, Ellen Jewett, and Hilary Brace. Inspired by nature, these artists use diverse materials and methods to create environments that engage the imagination. The viewer is invited to look into the details of their artwork and explore the unique weaving of image, texture, and pattern that resembles nature and yet is unlike anything in the natural world. Photographer Cheryl Medow uses composite digital photography to create intriguing images of birds that make the viewer take a second and a third look to digest the full scene. Some are humorous, others majestic, all fascinating.Ellen Jewett lives in British Columbia and loaned a piece to our recent Animals A to Z exhibition. After seeing everyone’s fascination with her detailed, delicate sculptures we knew we needed to show more of her work. She will be loaning eight pieces to Nature Imagined. Hilary Brace of Santa Barbara uses charcoal, graphite and digital mediums to create monochrome, dramatic and imagined landscapes.

Website: http://www.wildlingmuseum.org/home-new/exhibitions/nature-imagined/
Email: info@wildlingmuseum.org

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Nature Abstracted Workshop
January 05
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

“Nature Abstracted,” a three-hour workshop for adults (teens are also welcome), will start from a photograph of a place in the natural world which the student has brought or chosen. Painting an abstract version of a picture you have taken, in a natural setting where you have been, such as a lake in the Sierras, the Grand Canyon, an Alaska glacier, or the view of the hills from your backyard, can be more meaningful. After a few warm-up exercises and descriptions of different styles of abstract art, students will paint an acrylic abstraction of this photo on canvas. 
A warm-up exercise, an adaptation of Betty Edwards’ “Drawing on The Artist Within,” along with examples of paintings by several abstract artists–including those of the present Abstract Art Collective exhibition, will show that there are universal yet varied ways artists use elements such as line, value, and color, to express a thought or emotion. 
Influence of a variety of art movements such as the more intellectual school of Cubism as opposed to the more emotive Fauvism and Abstract Expressionism have a direct connection to the work of living artists today, and some of that influence will be seen on the walls of the Museum.
The teacher will demonstrate techniques such as underpainting, use of brushes, and color mixing.  Students will be provided with “pallets” and given a choice of acrylic paints, including metallic and glitter paints.  They will also be offered various canvas sizes and formats as well as brushes.
The instructor, Cynthia Martin, a Santa Barbara an award winning artist and educator, has been included in many solo and group exhibitions in California. She is a member of the Santa Barbara County Arts committee (CAPP), as well as the Santa Barbara Studio Artists and the Abstract Art Collective.Tuition: $65 + $10 material fee

Website: http://www.wildlingmuseum.org/nature-abstracted-workshop-jan-5th/

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

January 09 - February 04

The Wildling Museum in Solvang is collaborating with the Santa Barbara based Abstract Art Collective to produce Nature Abstracted. This show features work from the Abstract Art Collective (AAC), a Santa Barbara community-based group of artists. Abstract art challenges the artist and audience to mine the depths of emotion and intellect—to journey far from real world imagery and into the imagination. In this exhibit you will see the artists’ response to various aspects of nature experiences—responses they’ve chosen to share. Nature Abstracted is an exquisite and intimate exhibition to be enjoyed by all ages, and at many levels. There are 29 works by 18 artists, accompanied by wall placards describing each work as to medium and thought process in the work’s production.
The Wildling’s Executive Director Stacey Otte-Demangate and Westmont College’s Nathan Huff juried the submissions from the members of the Abstract Art Collective for this exhibit. Over 25 artworks will be for sale, with 30% of the proceeds supporting the museum. Nature Abstracted will be on display in the Barbara Goodall Education Center from October 3rd through February 4th, 2019.

Website: http://www.wildlingmuseum.org/wildling-museum-abstract-art-collective-present-nature-abstracted/

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Nature Imagined
January 12 - January 21

You are invited to Nature Imagined, a special exhibition that celebrates nature through the vivid imaginations of Cheryl Medow, Ellen Jewett, and Hilary Brace. Inspired by nature, these artists use diverse materials and methods to create environments that engage the imagination. The viewer is invited to look into the details of their artwork and explore the unique weaving of image, texture, and pattern that resembles nature and yet is unlike anything in the natural world. Photographer Cheryl Medow uses composite digital photography to create intriguing images of birds that make the viewer take a second and a third look to digest the full scene. Some are humorous, others majestic, all fascinating.Ellen Jewett lives in British Columbia and loaned a piece to our recent Animals A to Z exhibition. After seeing everyone’s fascination with her detailed, delicate sculptures we knew we needed to show more of her work. She will be loaning eight pieces to Nature Imagined. Hilary Brace of Santa Barbara uses charcoal, graphite and digital mediums to create monochrome, dramatic and imagined landscapes.

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

January 16 - February 04

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Nature Imagined
January 19 - January 21

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

January 23 - February 04

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

The Noontime Opera Concert
January 23
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

The Noontime Concert at the Wildling Museum in Solvang on January 23, will feature the Chrisman Studio Artists: Ashley Kay Armstrong, Yazid Gray, Michael Kollmorgen, and Jennifer Lindsay.  They will be performing Russian Art songs and selections from the upcoming opera, Eugene Onegin, which premieres on March 1st and 3rd at the Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara.  
About Opera Santa BarbaraFounded in 1994, Opera Santa Barbara brings opera of the highest caliber to California’s central coast. In our 22 year history, the organization has developed a reputation for quality in both its mainstage offerings and its educational programming. OSB continues to broaden its repertoire of traditional and more adventurous programming to celebrate the breadth and beauty of opera by presenting exciting, high-quality productions.  

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/4h7tfegrkytttby949b4y574ry9ch6

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Alma Rosa Winery & Cailloux Cheese Shop are pairing up for SYV Restaurant Week 2019!
January 27 - February 10

Join Alma Rosa Winery for Santa Ynez Valley Restaurant Week, January 27 through February 10! For only $20.19 guests will enjoy a glass of 2015 Brut Sparkling upon arrival, followed by a delicious pairing of cheeses by Cailloux Cheese Shop with three different varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah. Advance tickets are required and are available for purchase here

Website: http://www.almarosawinery.com/Visit-Us/Tasting-Room/2019-Restaurant-Week
Email: info@almarosawinery.com
Phone: 805.691.9395

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

January 30 - February 04

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Previous Month Next Month

Add Your Event

Do you want to add your event to our Community Calendar? You can do so by clicking the button below. Complete the simple registration and submit your event. Once approved your event will be added to our Community Calendar.

Add My Event