Community Event Calendar

May 2019

Click the event title to view more information to add an event to your itinerary.

Display: Default Week MonthSearchAdd Event My Itinerary

Events

SYV Master Chorale's 40th Anniversary Celebration Concert
May 11
7:30 PM - 9:30 AM

The Santa Ynez Valley Master Chorale, known for lyrical and diverse choral and orchestral programs continues to celebrate its 40th anniversary with spring concerts on Saturday, May 11 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, May 12 at 3:00 p.m. at the Solvang Veterans Memorial Hall, 1745 Mission Drive, Solvang. 

Under the direction of Dr. Michael Eglin, the 50-member Chorale, singers from other local groups and a 17-piece orchestra will begin the celebration with Joseph Haydn’s Lord Nelson Mass.  Originally called the Mass for Troubled Times, it was “nicknamed” Lord Nelson Mass in 1798 when it was associated with Admiral Horatio Nelson’s victory over Napoleon in the Battle of the Nile.  It is considered the composer’s “greatest single composition”.

The second half of the concert celebrates with jazz standards, contemporary tunes and rock covers including Duke Ellington’s It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing, Cole Porter’s Kiss Me Kate, Dolly Parton’s Light of a Clear Blue Morning, and Swedish pop group ABBA’s Waterloo and Take a Chance On Me.  Special guests will include Song-In-My-Heart Guitar Studio and the concert will close with Eric Idle’s rousing and comedic Always Look On the Bright Side of Life.

Tickets purchased in advance of the concert are $30 for adults and $25 for seniors (65 and over) and youth (18 and under).  They may be purchased at The Book Loft, El Rancho Market Place, from Chorale members and online by visiting www.syvchorale.org.  An early bird ticket special (10% discount) is available online until April 16.  Tickets at the door are $35 and $30.

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Mother’s Day Natural Perfume-Making Workshop Led by Susan Farber
May 11
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Design your own artisanal fragrance with your mom, for your mom, or simply pay homage to Mother Earth in this natural perfume-making workshop that will awaken your sensorial creativity and stimulate olfactory memory. Our olfactory system, or sense of smell, is linked to memories. You will create your very own liquid-based fragrance from a carefully curated selection of essential oils, while creating a lasting memory that can be relived every time you or your mother dons the perfume.

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/mothers-day-natural-perfume-making-workshop
Email: julie@wildlingmuseum.org
Phone: 805-686-8315

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

SYV Master Chorale's 40th Anniversary Celebration Concert
May 12
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

The Santa Ynez Valley Master Chorale, known for lyrical and diverse choral and orchestral programs continues to celebrate its 40th anniversary with spring concerts on Saturday, May 11 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, May 12 at 3:00 p.m. at the Solvang Veterans Memorial Hall, 1745 Mission Drive, Solvang. 

Under the direction of Dr. Michael Eglin, the 50-member Chorale, singers from other local groups and a 17-piece orchestra will begin the celebration with Joseph Haydn’s Lord Nelson Mass.  Originally called the Mass for Troubled Times, it was “nicknamed” Lord Nelson Mass in 1798 when it was associated with Admiral Horatio Nelson’s victory over Napoleon in the Battle of the Nile.  It is considered the composer’s “greatest single composition”.

The second half of the concert celebrates with jazz standards, contemporary tunes and rock covers including Duke Ellington’s It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing, Cole Porter’s Kiss Me Kate, Dolly Parton’s Light of a Clear Blue Morning, and Swedish pop group ABBA’s Waterloo and Take a Chance On Me.  Special guests will include Song-In-My-Heart Guitar Studio and the concert will close with Eric Idle’s rousing and comedic Always Look On the Bright Side of Life.

Tickets purchased in advance of the concert are $30 for adults and $25 for seniors (65 and over) and youth (18 and under).  They may be purchased at The Book Loft, El Rancho Market Place, from Chorale members and online by visiting www.syvchorale.org.  An early bird ticket special (10% discount) is available online until April 16.  Tickets at the door are $35 and $30.

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Botanical Illustration - Flowers, Plants, & Trees
May 18
10:00 AM - 2:30 PM

Immerse yourself in the meditative art of botanical illustration. Whether working with graphite pencil, watercolor, colored pencil, or pen and ink, students of nature will learn to draw and paint growing things and to understand their form and function.  A multitude of possible subjects can apply flower or plant, fruit or vegetable, feather or seashell, tree leaves or bark.  Bring several things!  You will find this to be a quiet and calming art, losing yourself in close up observation. Though we strive for accuracy, there is much creativity in plant portraiture.  
Bring a brown bag lunch for a half-hour break at noon.  Register for this workshop online, stop in at the Wildling Museum store, or call 805-686-8315.   
Instructor: Chris ChapmanTime: Saturday, May 18, 2019, 10:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.Tuition: $60 (If you’d like the instructor to provide your supplies, bring extra $10 to class.)Class size is limited to 12 people;  appropriate for adults of all skill levels.Visit Our Website for more information.

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/botanical-illustration-flowers-plants-trees
Email: mitra@wildlingmuseum.org
Phone: 8056868315

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Memorial Day Weekend at Brick Barn
May 25 - May 26
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

There will be food and music the Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day weekend as well as some wine specials!

Saturday, May 25th    

12:30 – 3:30pm

Danielle Taylor / Music

Scott’s Hot Dogs / Food

Sunday, May 26th

Montgomery Dougherty / Music

1:30 – 4:30          

Javed Kabab Paradise Food Truck

12:30 – 3:30pm

Email: jamie@brickbarnwineestate.com
Phone: 805-686-1208 ext 208

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Next Month

Add Your Event

Do you want to add your event to our Community Calendar? You can do so by clicking the button below. Complete the simple registration and submit your event. Once approved your event will be added to our Community Calendar.

Add My Event