Community Event Calendar

February 2019

Click the event title to view more information to add an event to your itinerary.

Display: Default Week MonthSearchAdd Event My Itinerary

Events

Ray Strong: A Collector’s Passion Opening Reception
February 02
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Opening ReceptionDate: Saturday, February 2nd, 2019Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PMRSVP to Julie at julie@wildlingmuseum.org or call (805) 688-1082  In the pantheon of Santa Barbara artists, perhaps no star shines brighter than Ray Strong (1905-2006). Prolific, diverse and influential, he left a beautiful legacy of work, much of which celebrates the wild lands of Santa Barbara County, and northern California.  For Strong, painting was both documentation of an area and his personal communion with nature. 
One collector, David Parker, is sharing his Ray Strong paintings with us, as well as his stories of how he built his collection of over thirty pieces.  The collection has an admirable range of artworks (stylistically and geographically) and was guided by Parker’s passion and determination, as well as advice from other collectors and galleries.

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/ray-strong-2019-art-exhibit
Email: mitra@wildlingmuseum.org
Phone: 8056868315

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Charlie Overbey and The Broken Arrows
February 02
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Charlie Overbey may be a lifelong Californian, but his songs are steeped in the timeless traditions of the American South. After years of touring the world supporting acts ranging from David Allan Coe and Blackberry Smoke to Social Distortion and Motorhead, Overbey slowly amassed a collection of introspective original songs that transcend the endless rock & roll party, taking a stark, undeniably honest look at some of life’s most gritty moments.

Website: http://www.standingsunwines.com/2219-Charlie-Overbey-and-The-Broken-Arrows_p_707.html
Email: john@standingsunwines.com
Phone: 8056919413

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Matt Andersen
February 08
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM

With over 10 million views on YouTube, two European Blues Awards, and winning Best Solo Performer at the Memphis Blues Challenge, it appears that the entire world is now discovering Matt Andersen. A powerhouse performer with a giant soul-filled voice and commanding stage presence, Matt has built a formidable following the old fashioned way – touring worldwide and letting the converted audiences and Andersen devotees spread his reputation through word of mouth.

Website: http://www.standingsunwines.com/2819-Matt-Andersen_p_697.html
Email: john@standingsunwines.com
Phone: 8056919413

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Artist Talk: Nature Through the Eye of a Needle - a Shared Adventure
February 10
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM

The Wildling Museum of Art and Nature is pleased to announce the artist talk, “Nature Through the Eye of a Needle - a Shared Adventure,” with Dr. Isabel Downs and Dr. Robert Warner.  The lecture will take place at the Wildling Museum on Sunday, February 10, from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Also, Dr. Downs is currently the Featured Local Artist, and her fiber art of bird and marine scenes is on display in the museum store. Purchase tickets online, stop by the Wildling Museum, or call 805-686-8315. Walk-ins on the day of the talk are welcome. Learn more about Dr. Isabel Downs at isabelsquilts.virb.com. Cost: $5 Members and $10 General AdmissionRSVP at https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/artist-talk-nature-through-the-eye-of-a-needle-a-shared-adventure

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/artist-talk-nature-through-the-eye-of-a-needle-a-shared-adventure

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Ray Strong: A Collector’s Passion (Second Opening Reception)
February 16
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM

The Wildling Museum of Art and Nature is pleased to present the exhibition, “Ray Strong: A Collector’s Passion,” that is open to the public through July 8, 2019.  The show features 32 paintings by renowned Santa Barbara artist Ray Strong (1905-2006), loaned by David Parker of Goleta.  While several pieces have been shown at venues throughout the county, this is the first time the entire collection will be shown together. Born in Oregon, Strong painted primarily in Marin County and the Bay Area, but moved to Santa Barbara in 1960 having been commissioned to paint diorama murals for the Bird Hall at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. He loved painting throughout the county and eventually co-founded The Oak Group along with fellow painter Arturo Tello in 1986. That group of painters uses art to raise awareness and funds for endangered local landscapes and is still active today, with 25 members. In addition to Parker’s collection, the Wildling also commissioned filmmaker Jeff McLoughlin of Goodeye Films to create a short video about Strong and his legacy. It is shown in the gallery, along with a few other paintings by artists who were taught or influenced by Strong.  Please RSVP to Julie at julie@wildlingmuseum.org or call (805) 688-1082 and let us know you are planning to attend. 

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/ray-strong-2019-art-exhibit

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Valley Wide Shred Day
February 23
8:00 AM - 3:30 PM

The Valley Chambers are working together to provide you with a Valley wide shred day.  We'll be at various locations throughout the Valley on February 23rd.  You may bring 2 Banker's Boxes to shred for free.  Thank you to Shred2you for providing this service.

Each additional box will be $6.00.

Locations and times are as follows:

Buellton: 8-9:30am at Rabobank

Solvang: 10-11:30pm at the Vets Hall

Santa Ynez:  Noon-1:30pm at Rabobank

Los Olivos: 2-3:30pm at St. Mark's-in-the-Valley

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

The Broad Museum Day Trip
February 26
9:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Enjoy a day at The Broad Museum with a guided 1-hour tour followed by free-time to do lunch and explore on your own. The Broad is known for its extensive contemporary art collection along with interactive audience installations, thought-provoking exhibitions and cutting-edge architecture. Hosted by Elverhøj Museum of History & Art

The 2019 Day Trips Collaboration

This day trip is part on an ongoing collaborative effort to bring cultural opportunities to residents of Santa Barbara County. This winter and spring there are four trips on the schedule. The day trips this year are to The Broad, Carrizo Plain National Monument, The Getty Center, and a Channel Islands Wildlife Cruz. Transportation and administration services are provided by Buellton and Solvang Parks and Recreation. Marketing and tour guides are provided by the Elverhøj Museum of History & Art and Wildling Museum of Art & Nature.

Website: https://wildlingmuseum.org/news/the-broad-day-trip-2019
Email: info@elverhoj.org
Phone: 805-686-1211

Add to My Itinerary
Add to My Calendar

Previous Month Next Month

Add Your Event

Do you want to add your event to our Community Calendar? You can do so by clicking the button below. Complete the simple registration and submit your event. Once approved your event will be added to our Community Calendar.

Add My Event